Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Pine Mountain Steps

From the very first week that I decided to do this, I knew I would need to 'go the extra step' to make it work. I live too many miles out of town to drive into a gym every day, at least with gas prices being what they are, and also the simple fact that I am a homebody...I did the typical gym membership years ago, when I was homeschooling my then two teenagers, and while I stuck with it for the course of the membership and my daughter's high school years, it was always a chore to get motivated to go.

So how to make it work, but not get bored?  I have a pretty nice treadmill, which I actually like, and my son did not take his nearly new weight bench with him when he enlisted...the Army more than provides adequate workout equipment, lol! These two combined would be a great start...but I knew I needed something more...but what?

I am fortunate enough to live not overly far from Pine Mountain...one of the world's largest manmade ski jumps...and to get to that jump, years ago, a set of steps was erected for the jumpers to use to get to the top of the hill! Years of wear and tear pretty much did the original steps in, but several organizations pulled together to rebuild them, better than before. Atop this same mountain, also sits the U.P Veteran's Memorial I find this very fitting considering one of my major reasons behind my goal.

The first time I 'walked' the steps, I thought I would literally die...the second time was a little bit easier...but each time I am aware of the benefits being reaped, both physically and emotionally...no gym membership could provide me with the soul searching I get each and every time I take the first step, or the 500th, or match the magnificent view from the top.

I plan to get some photos of my own of the steps, but until then, here is a link to a news article about the Dedication of the new steps at Pine Mountain

No comments:

Post a Comment