Thursday, August 30, 2012

My Time


7,000 steps was my goal for some time in September...I never really set an actual date, but thought if I could get to that step count sometime during the month, it would be my personal gift to myself as my birthday falls midmonth.
So a few days ago, when I stepped on the treadmill in the morning with the thought of doing 6,000 to 6,500 steps, I figured I would up the incline through a bit more of the steps to build towards that goal...I either follow one of the set mountain terrains the machine offers, or if I choose to do my own on any given day, I keep the incline alternating high-low, with it high 1/2 of the step count.

As I got close to the 'end'...I did not want to get off...simple as that...I had a busy day ahead...work waiting on my desk...a list of 'to do's' for my husband who had left for what was supposed to be a several days long work trip (thankfully, he ended up getting back home that same evening), and a myriad of personal work goals once the regular workday ended. I am creating a line of painted art prints, so every spare minute I can gleam is poured into that. But I didn't want to quit...

Nearing the 6,000 mark, instead of slowing down and dropping the incline, I sped up a bit...when I got to 6,900, I finally went to a walking pace, and a few steps past 7,000 I stopped. I was winded, needed a shower, lol, but I felt good!

Since then, I have allowed myself the enjoyment each day of 7,000 steps. And it is enjoyment...hard to explain on some level, but the time I walk/jog I am learning, is 'my' time. My time in the moment...I can listen to whatever music I choose to pour through my headphones, I can get lost in my head...dreaming of all sorts of things...
I am a fan of quotes, usually the more thought provoking the better. Then sometimes, something worded very simple will roll across my desk, and I will be as awe struck with it as I sometimes am with long, eloquently written ones...so will leave you all with this today...not sure who wrote it, but I find it fitting...“Whatever you choose, you might as well enjoy it. It is your choice.”...simple, but so very true.





1 comment:

  1. I know exactly how you feel about the treadmill; I don't *like* doing it, but about halfway through a workout, I sort of 'lose myself' in the music and it's just me-against-the-treadmill... it's a nice feeling to empty my mind like that on a regular basis! (and bonus, it's good for me physically, too!)

    thank you to your son for his service to our country, and kudos to you for getting healthy to be around for your family- I know personally how hard a journey that can be, having tried it quite a few times myself- this time I'm going to stick with it.

    ReplyDelete