Sunday, September 16, 2012

Even when the Unexpected Happens

This week was successful in many ways. I accomplished not only the steps, but on the one day that I did do them, Friday, and my birthday no less, I also walked from the top, back to the parking area below, the long way around, approx. 2.7 miles. I had the company of a good friend too, so positives all around. Along with the treadmill and the weight routine I now do each day, it was a great feeling.

On Saturday, I walked the Fumee Lake Nature Area with my husband. Which brings me to the unexpected happenings...I am so very thankful that I had my husband to walk with me...thankful that I had my husband, period!

Bright and early Monday morning, I got a phone call that could very well have changed my life and not just interrupted my week. The call came at 5am...my husband had totalled his truck on the way to work, in a head on collission with a MOOSE! A very large bull moose no less.

My oldest son was catching a ride to work with him that day, so he happened to be snoozing in the passenger seat next to my husband. Out of nowhere, they went from going down the road to having an approximately 1200 lb moose slamming up across the front of the truck, leaving them showered with shattered glass, a few minor cuts and one slightly injured wrist. All very minor injuries. The truck did not fare so well, but trucks can be replaced.

The biologist who oeversees the herd in the area where my husband was working, later told him that in her career, the numbers average 98% fatality rate for the unfortunate few who happen to collide with one of these massive animals.  98% chance of being killed...they thankfully were the 2%!

So my schedule for walking the steps was not as busy this past week as I had planned, but that is ok...even when the unexpected happens...life thankfully, oh so very thankfully, goes on!




2 comments:

  1. growing up in NW Illinois, there was always a chance of a car-deer collision which was bad enough, but a moose?!? I can't even imagine!! Thank goodness your husband and son are okay!! (do you get to keep the moose, at least? lol!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No...because there is not a seasson for Moose in the upper peninsula yet, the DNR keeps the rack and the meat is processed and given to a food bank. My husband really wanted the rack, lol!

    ReplyDelete